Monday, June 13, 2011

Desk For An End Table

Two posts in two days...I know it's a shocker!

In my long journey to turn my dumpy den into a fabulous family room, I have moved around quite a bit of furniture.  I'm really big on storage...I need it - have to have it.  One recent change that has really helped was the addition of this desk between the chair & sofa.

(As you can tell by the trash bags, I run a professional operation here.)  It had been by the front door but when I added the armoire, I had to move it.  It looked good just like this but I thought it would be too dark in the den and wanted to lighten it up a bit.

I saw this on the Sundance website and fell in love with their whole line painted like it:

I like how it's painted but still plenty of the beautiful wood is showing

With that as inspiration, I did this:

I used latex paint that I already had.  Dover White & Ashley Gray (at 50% strength).  I drybrushed then sanded. 

I like how the paint really brings out the details like the planked sides.

I left the hardware alone.

The end result reminded me of chalk paint.  This was really old wood so it took the paint really well.




There's a lot of wood showing on the top.  Very lightly dry brushed.


It's so hard for me to get a good lighting shot in this den. I'm going to have to figure something out.

Maybe I'll take a page from Doo's book and use a bedspread and pot lid.

I'm linking to these parties: Type A's Anything Goes PartyMet Monday @ BNOTP

Thanks for coming by!


5 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE it!! Please don't tell me you did this all yesterday?!! It looks perfect in that spot in the den and does create so much storage. Of course, you do run an extremely practical and professional operation...look at your end results!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful job. love the color and the distressing.
    lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the hardest time with lighting and pictures. I guess I gotta get my pot lid out! The desk is wonderful. Did I tell you yesterday how glad I am that your homuor is back in my life?!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet little desk! I love it :)

    I reallyike all the exposed wood showing through, I'll have to give dry brushing a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This turned out great. Very rustic and chic:) I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete

Who doesn't love a comment? Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...